



I have lived in Minnesota my whole life, but we rarely get the chance to explore parts of the state out west. In fact, most of the time that we have spend driving especially in the southwest part of the state, it has been to weddings of friends. On the wat to Cheri and Ben's wedding we found a few things entertaining as tourists. The town of Olivia, where the ceremony took place, proudly boasts that they are the "Corn Capital" and even have a huge statue of an ear of corn. I love quirky little things like this. I have even visited the World's Largest Ball of Twine in Darwin, MN (on the way to a wedding in South Dakota, I believe). I wanted to get a picture of the corn statue, but we missed it on the way out of town. But this sign was directly in front of the church. I also thought fondly of my Grandma Edie on this adventure...she would have LOVED the pink barn in Brownton!
It's fun to see other parts of the state...to see how my friends grew up, and to see the lifestyle changes along the way. I can't help but think about stuff like that and wonder what it would be like to live in a quieter, slower-paced part of the state...But I think I'm officially a suburbanite for one reason alone. It's a long way to the nearest McDonalds down there:)
6 comments:
I loved the ball of twine!
I am the BEST Minnesota tourist ever - have you ever done the trolley tour of Minneapolis? Or the Segue tour? They're great!!! Lanesboro is also one of my favorites - though maybe Olivia is a close second :)
and p.s. - I've been teaching English too long - it's "Segway" - not "Segue" he he oops.
Mc Donalds...what about, Target, Caribou, or any kind of a shopping mall???
Funny! Olivia is where I took my driving test and that was the "big town"...you drove right by the farm I grew up on (hys 212) I am sure. Welcome to the rest of MN!
P.S. I used to knwo the girls who grew up on the pink barn farm!
Post a Comment