Saturday, November 7, 2009

Eco-Shopping

More on a "Green" Note:

When we think of reducing our "carbon footprint," we think about driving less and improving the efficiency of our home. Just as important, however, is being intentional about what we buy.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency reports that nearly 50% of U.S. greenhouse gas emissions are tied to our consumption of goods, materials, and food.

Luckily, there are many ways to reduce the impact of our stuff. In many cases, you will also save money and support the local economy!

It's easy to go eco-shopping. Just ask yourself these questions before making a purchase:

• Does the gift recipient need or want this?
• Can I buy this used?
• Can I get this with recycled content?
• Can this be recycled?
• Can I give a coupon to borrow or rent this instead?
• If I spend a little more money today on a high-quality or energy-efficient option, could I (or my gift-recipient) save money in the long run?

If there are alternatives, these questions will help you consider them. Just start with small steps -- a 10% reduction in new purchases in the average 2-person Minnesota household will save 1,102 pounds of carbon dioxide equivalents.


Living Green 365 Newsletter

1 comment:

CS said...

Great reminders Mo! Thanks!