Monday, April 21, 2008

Earth Friendly Electronics Recycling

Happy Earth Week.

I'm sure you'll notice a LOT of Green stuff out there this week, and it's not just the grass getting greener. Tomorrow is Earth Day, I think I heard McD's is giving away trees on Arbor Day (is that Friday?) And lots of places are giving away reusable tote bags this week. There are also some good sales on Earth Friendly products, like Walgreens has 2/$5 on Seventh Generation cleaning products. I think I officially have changed over most of my cleaning stuff now with non-toxic stuff.

If you're sick of hearing about Living Green, you might want to skip reading the blog this week, I have the feeling I'll be on my kick for a while. I'm even considering joining the Environment Stewardship Committee at church...Josh thinks I'm nuts:) Maybe you do too...tell me about it please...comments always welcome! (Yup, even you Mom! I can take it.)

Here's an article I found on EarthKARE about recycling things that you don't always think about: Light bulbs, batteries, thermometers, anything with lead, alkaline, lithium, etc. in them. I have been taking my batteries to the Maple Grove Library for recycling, but I think we need to make a trip to the Hennepin County Recycling Center. Don't forget those new energy efficient light bulbs have mercury in them so be careful when handling and definetly RECYCLE don't throw away! And if your TV is being replaced to accomodate the new HDTV world, you can recycle that too!

Here's a new program starting in Minnesota too:
Message in a Bottle
NEW! Our new "away from home" recycling program for plastic bottles, glass and cans. The only program of its kind in Minnesota and currently available only in McLeod, Carver, Wright and western parts of Hennepin county. We offer this service free of charge to gas stations, car wash facilities, and any other place that Minnesotans visit when they are away from home. It's hard to recycle when you are out and about in Minnesota. Our program makes it easy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe in the cause. You'd be perfect on the committee. I didn't realize til this weekend that we had one.
You know how I harped on this years ago,or maybe not. YOu girls didn't really care at the time. Sooo happy you now care!P.S I just got an email from Caribou, and if you use the same cup over they deduct 5 cents on your coffee.

MoSchu said...

Sweet (literally!) thanks mom, and thanks for trying when we were little, I'm listening now;)

Katie said...

I think you'd be perfect for the committee! You'd even be working with a relative. Rick Deisel (sp? sorry mom) sister is on that committee. :-)

By the way, we were told at Batteries Plus that the regular A, AA, C and D batteries no longer have a large enough mercury content to recycle so they wouldn't take our batteries.